With taxpayers dissatisfied with long processing delays; the limited storage capacity and inconvenient location of its stand-alone warehouse; and mounting hiring and facility maintenance costs, the Agency decided that it was time to make a change. After weighing the options, the Agency determined that outsourcing to a seasoned provider was the best and only option. It selected Exela as its outsourcing partner because of its decades-long history of providing remittance services to large governmental organizations.
Leveraging Exela’s expertise and proprietary digital technology, the Agency could now streamline and modernize all aspects of its remittance operations. Replacing manual workflows would significantly improve the customer experience by reducing payment cycle times and minimizing security risk. To help further reduce over-head costs, and create more jobs for Alabama residents, Exela worked with the State to construct a brand new facility that would replace the Agency’s on-site warehouse. All of the Agency’s remittance operations would be transferred to this facility.
The partnership with Exela began in the year 2000 with the implementation of keying services, with additional services added incrementally over time to ensure a seamless transition. Today, Exela manages the entire spectrum of the Agency’s remittance operations including:
- Opening envelopes and removing contents
- Preparing and scanning returns
- Data keying
- Image capture and storage
- Quality review and assurance
- Document destruction
Exela processes approximately 3,100,000 pieces of mail and 1,000,000 checks during the course of the year. During peak seasons, volumes can reach up to 15,000 transactions within a single day, translating into a capture of more than 1,000,000 keystrokes annually. Documents are converted to digital images utilizing Exela’s proprietary, high speed IBML technology for high quality image output, and to ensure that scanned images are exact (or better) duplicates of original documents.
To date, Exela supports the Agency’s evolving remittance needs by providing:
- End-to-end tax return processing for: individual income tax; corporate tax; withholding tax; sales and use tax; crash records/accident reports; and other misc. taxes
- Voucher and tax return payment processing
- Modernized image hosting and archival platform
- Web-based remittance and volume reporting
- Data processing support for refunds, filing extensions, and other exception items and correspondence
- LockBox services/remittance processing including Check 21 (managing 1.1 million dollars in transactions per year)
- Middleware Software Security and Testing (MIST); development of techniques and procedures for vulnerability assessment
- Online customer exceptions management
- Fraud detection and prevention system
- Mail room services including, a certified mail receipt tracking system for packages receipt notification
- 2-D barcoding system